Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Stay at home moms? Stay at home.

I have decided that I will stop coming to coffee shops to try to write. Currently I am sitting in my local (ahem) “Starbies” trying not to feel sad about this decision. Truthfully I’m not finding that very hard; midday Starbucks is enough to put anyone off of coffee shops.

Were I to consult logic, frugality, and reason, I would likely find that there is very little reason for me to be in coffee shops at all. Firstly, though I do like coffee very much, I have forbidden myself the consumption of caffeine and so must imbibe sugar drinks with no caffeine payoff. Secondly, I have recently taken employment at a minimum wage and so should not but be wasting money (3.24, holy crap!) on small pumpkin lattes. Thirdly, the “pleasant” music is always a trifle too loud. Fourth and final: midday Starbucks moms are the worst.

Currently sitting to my left is a group of four middle aged ladies who are talking non-stop about their high school aged kiddies. These kids, who all seem to be called some variation on “Kaitlyn” or “Kalie,” just went to the prom en masse and some hi-jinx ensued involving one mother accusing another mother (not represented here) of allowing kids to drink alchy at her house. Rapt discussion of high school football follows. These moms are harried and concerned. They worry about “sexting” and MySpace (though they all have Facebook) and seem to know all of the romantic drama in the vaguest terms. They plan birthday gatherings at BJ’s. They have the Sex and the City theme as their collective ringtone. Mostly they just talk loudly.

I wonder if this is a daily meeting. Probably I should wonder why I am such a jerk.

1 comment:

joel. said...

no they're the jerks. i saw a pair of them (no doubt a different pair) at the coffee shop by you're place when I left last weekend...talking loudly (with sighs equally loud), purposely standing in the way, making sure that people we're checking their redone-selves out. in summary: you said it sis!
&
here is a link to uncomfortable chairs, though the chairs are not the reason for my sharing with you. instead it's the bad puns that i think you might enjoy/hate (oh sit!)--> http://weburbanist.com/2009/10/11/oh-sit-the-worlds-13-most-uncomfortable-chair-designs/