Thursday, April 24, 2008

Maiden voyage into blogville

Deciding to start a blog is very serious business. Always one to rub things in, my cheapo, generic word processor just insisted that I add the word "blog" to its dictionary. There are few things that I hate more than word processors taking it upon themselves to behave symbolically.

I will admit that I've been toying with the idea of blogging rather
apprehensively for some time. It seems to me that in blogging there are too many variables. For example, will this be the kind of blog where I painstakingly outline the events of my daily day? Or rather one where I only turn towards my computer when glowing with some kind of brilliant assertion or righteous rant on the state of the world ("global warming = hella")? More importantly, would I employ that feature that allows me to list what I was listening to, complete with album cover thumbnail courtesy of Amazon?

Logistics aside, there are important matters of discretion to be considered
in blogging. Can I mention my friends by name? Surely a system of aliases would be too hard to upkeep. Plus, I would eventually yield to the lazy compulsion to just assign everyone a thematic name (names of huskies in Jack London novels, cheerleaders on Degrassi) and run the risk of my life looking like a trashy cross-over fan fic. What about my boyfriend? I suspect that he will come up on occasion. I guess I could just dehumanize by some vomit-worthy acronymical title, like the B.F., the Sig O., J.T.T. As for myself, I'll never be so grand and marvelous a goober as to chance addressing myself with some corny handle mid-sentence.

I suppose these questions are moderated by the number of people I direct here via pointed emailed prodding. After all, the more people I tell, the greater the chance that I will say something particularly uncivilized about someone and piss them off. Like that kid I hate in my poetry class who always wears that UCD sweatshirt with the
sleeves pushed up and begins every statement with "Well, I'm going to play devil's advocate..." I wish that this kid would instead chose to play on the freeway.

Finally, I struggle over the issue of blogging assumptions. I'm certainly not
deluded enough to make some artsy plea of self expression. Soggy college-ruled notebooks are for creative expression (little black moleskines if you're a particular asshole) but the interweb is for exhibitionism. Blogging for soul-searching is like myspacing for humility. Or at least its vaguely related.

Despite my willingness to recognize blogging as fodder for the grasping faceless masses
I'm fairly sure that I'll never be able to address them in a chummy fashion. You'll get no presumptuous "Hey guys" into infinity from me.

No comments: