Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Spoons for special occasions

A really marvelous thing just happened to me.

I was sitting at my desk a few moments ago when a very elegant lady approached me with a plastic bag. I was instantly impressed with her hat, which was a little black number with some mesh extending from the front to cover her face. Intrigued, I glanced around my mega-double computer screen. She wore a back skirt-suit and glasses on a beaded chain around her neck.

“This,” I thought to myself, “Is a woman with driving gloves and more than one set of spoons.” I asked her what I could help her with in an extra polite way. I imagined that this lady was a widow with a tragic past, so I didn’t mind coddling her.

Here’s the real kicker: it turns out that the plastic bag was full of slightly-used Time magazines that this charming lady wanted to leave in our waiting room. For months I have been reading the same Country Home catalog, so I was drooling over the opportunity to pretend that I didn’t know how the presidential election was going to turn out.

Also my pal brought me a delicious tea from a certain soul-less commercial coffee house that I dare not frequent myself for loss of street cred.

Sometimes people are awesome.

No comments: