Tuesday, February 2, 2010

blog ain't blog

Back in the job search saddle again. [An aside (already!): Speaking of saddles, I wish that I could get a job as a cow poke or a sheep herder or something low key (provided there isn’t a stampede or a blizzard) and reflective like that.] Don’t fear careful readers, I am still employed. I’m just exploring my options as I delicately explore the empty terrain of my wallet.

But this post isn’t about looking for jobs; it is about the things that we do to avoid looking for jobs. For me that includes the usual run of internet habits (instant messaging, looking at horses for sale on craigslist, blog reading), whining and recreational eating. But it also includes a giant time-suck that I don’t think that I have had occasion to mention yet on this here blogaroni. When I am procrastinating, I like to get on Etsy.com and search “prairie” without setting any parameters.

I could go on for hours about the sort of things that I consider buying in this procrasti-state but I don’t think you are interested in how I spent a few hours taking my dress measurements and wondering when one wears lace-and-calico arm sleeves. Instead I’ll just make this short and say that these fits of browsing assure me of several things.

First, they remind me how much I love the prairie, people of the prairie, and anything gingham. Secondly, they remind me that there are other people out there thinking about the prairie with a nostalgic glint in their eye and a sewing needle in their silly little hands. My new resolve is to meet these people. With any luck they won’t be some hardcore historical reenactors; they’ll just be a bunch of folks into drinking well water that comes in a bucket. And we’ll be best friends.

Prairie enthusiasts interested in forming a commune of houses that are not period-accurate but are crammed full of butter churns, enamel wash pans and tenement-style clotheslines can apply in the comment area below.

No comments: