Thursday, February 11, 2010

red-flag jerk vocab

I was driving home in the early (the earliest: 12:30) hours of the morning this morning, rocking out to my trademark early-70s jams and it occurred to me that I haven’t been out driving that late in a long while. Okay, well that is not strictly true. I have been out after midnight plenty of times lately, but only when in the glamorous role of designated driver and never by my lonesome. The empty freeway and the Billy Joel reminded me of the fact that once, not so long ago, driving somewhere alone at night would have been notable – I am miraculously antisocial, don’t forget – but wouldn’t have been cause for reflection.

So, I have a couple of notes on this topic and I’m sorry if one of them requires me to say “post-collegiate” and the other one requires me to say “co-dependent,” but I am going to muddle through despite any red-flag asshole vocab. When I was driving last night I was thinking about how I am really passive in the social sense (and the professional/economic/picking-what-to-eat sense) and since moving into the soul-suck suburbs to pursue my soul-suck (ex)career I haven’t been making much of an effort to be social. Part of this has to do with the fact that there isn’t much of a youthful professional demographic here, and that the existing youthful professionals are a little perplexed by a person who quit their professional job to be a shoe salesman.

It also has to do with my strange hatred for my cell phone that developed at some point, causing me to detest using or answering it. But mainly I think the problem is not being a socially proactive person partially because I live an hour away from everyone I know, and also because I live with a person who is very convenient receptacle for all of my socializing needs.

Life, I think, is very hard for post-collegiate co-dependent sorts.

No comments: