Monday, November 23, 2009

Tales from the Cryptic

I'm ashamed to post two short entries in a row, but I'm a busy lady and blog posts are time consuming. (Or, at the very least, I pretend to be a busy lady and pretending to be too busy to blog is an important part of the illusion.)

Today I wanted to walk my dog and as it was a little chilly I went into the coat closet to grab a jacket. I couldn't find my usual chilly-but-not-cold jacket (blue, nylon/cloth, fake elbow patches of the same color and material) so I grabbed an old corduroy jacket that I used to wear quite often in college. I preceded to I walk my dog and we had various small adventures that were thrilling but not relevant to the story so shall be ignored.

When I got home I emptied the pockets of the corduroy jacket (so that I wouldn't end up with my keys hidden in the closet inside of a jacket that I rarely wear) and found a receipt dated 11/22/2008, which is exactly a year and a day ago.

The receipt is from Original Pete's Pizza. It lists 1 pint of Midtown Ale, 1 pint of Bud Light, and some tax, all equaling the sum of 7.50. I apparently paid with a 20, suggesting that I had more available cash at the time and received 12.50 in change. I pro'lly paid 3 dollars in tip.

All of these calculations are not important but I enjoyed writing them down so I'll keep them. The point is this: a year and a day ago I had more cash on hand. I also had just gotten engaged, lived in an apartment in a different city where I often walked to pizzerias and drank pints of Bud Light, and definitely never had to think of the consequences of putting my keys away in a coat closet because I didn't have a coat closet.

I didn't have a coat closet but I had a 20, a new car, and (apparently) a Bud Light. I had just landed the job that I quit two months ago.

Lots of things are crazy, but mainly time (the passage of and ect.).

No comments: