Thursday, December 3, 2009

Contains the worst joke on THE INTERNET

My internet is acting strangely today, which seems irritating but is probably good for me. I find that the internet is the greatest media hurdle one encounters when working from home. That is probably because it encompasses all of those other media thingers; however, I’m going to keep saying it as though it wasn’t obvious.

My main complaint with my internet acting freakishly is that it seemed remarkably cold when I got up this morning and I wanted to know the temperature. Computer dependent as I am, my first instinct was to turn on my computer and pull up a weather site. My computer chose to respond to this (rather reasonable, I think) request by giving me some blank-screened nonsense about “resolving hosts.” As a result, I have no idea what the temperature was on 12-3-09 at 7:35 in Orangevale. And that bothered me.

Parsing out why exactly the weather was the upmost of my computer priorities this morning is harder to do. I wasn’t planning on changing my clothing or my plans to suit the weather. My daily agenda included writing, working (indoors), and writing; little opportunity in that tight schedule is allotted for weather sensitive hobbies like camping, swimming, or penguin hunting. (Oh man, that was probably the worst joke on all of THE INTERNET.)

I’m just neurotic and I like to know what the temperature is so that when I am outside I can think to myself, “This is what 45 degrees feels like.” Knowing the exact temperature also helps if you frequently get stuck in uncomfortable conversations. After you get done talking about the economy and what kind of fancy mattress you own (Sleep Number, suckers!), you can always talk about the weather. It’s not a conversational cliché when you come prepared with actual data.

As a matter of interest I thought that I might mention that there is one of those little outside thermometers on the porch of my house but I don’t trust it. It doesn’t tell me the exact hour of the day when it will rain like my computer will, provided that it gets all of its little hosts resolved.

No comments: