Sunday, December 6, 2009

Remember I-Macs?

My new computer is coming in the mail tomorrow. If I can manage, I would like to say without any trace of the usual flippancy that adorns my discussion of my love/hate relationship with technology, that I am hellsa excited.

I haven’t had a computer of my own for a few years, ever since my old computer (a beautiful and faithful over-sized Toshiba laptop that I’d invested heavily in repairs to over three years) finally croaked. The manner of the croaking was thus: the wire between the computers “brain” and the computer’s “face” had frayed resulting in the “face” to display everything that should have been black in a searing red. For a person who already has radically bad vision, this was a death sentence.

From that time on I’ve been mooching heavily from my domestic companion. First I stole his old computer – blue, dell, chunky – for my use at home during the last stint of my academic phase. Later, when we moved in together and the pretense of domestic bliss allowed me to be so forward I began using his main laptop. And I’m using that very laptop to type this blog.

But my next blog entry will undoubtedly be typed from my new laptop.

I remember the first time that I had my “own” computer. It was a purple I-Mac and I was 13 years old. (Remember I-Macs?) The idea of possession thrilled me more than my computing abilities. I was more excited to pick a desktop background than anything else. The joy was only more pronounced because I had never used a Mac before and had absolutely no idea how to go about changing it.

I love desktop backgrounds in the same way I love car safety kits: both are the minor perks that make owning something important more palatable to the mind of a feeble sentimentalist.

Desktop background suggestions for my new computer are welcome. Until then I’m just hoping that the “fly fishing” default option is still available.


No comments: