Sunday, December 13, 2009

In which I use the word "adorable" in earnest

Yesterday while at work I attempted to help – and markedly failed to help – some guy that had an absolutely adorable Christmas problem. I know what you are thinking and it’s true: I can only be urged to use silly adjectives like “adorable” when something beyond heartwarming occurs. But this seemed to me very heartwarming. Further inspection reveals that it is probably par for the holiday course for a more seasoned retail worker, but I’m going to ignore that unfortunate logical tangent.

So there was this fellow at my place of work last night who wanted to buy a purse for his girl friend for Christmas. Since I was wandering around doing my “Are you finding everything alright?” shtick and because I possess the general appearance of a lady (though none of the purse-related instincts) he came to me asking for assistance. As we pondered the purses he gave me a short rundown of his girl. Apparently she rides horse but is no cowgirl, currently sports a canvas tote, wears black or grey converse sneakers at all times, and likes classic rock.

I was so ecstatic that someone would describe their girlfriend by saying that she liked classic rock that I forgot for a few moments that I have no working knowledge of purses.

“Which of these purses call out to you?” I said, trying to seem like I believed the purses had the personality and the metaphysical ability to call out. My charge replied that he liked them all exactly equally and I began a small private panic when he asked which models were most popular among young, white women.

This fellow obviously had money to spend and was eager to do so; when I gratefully relinquished him to my boss she persuaded him to get a purse, a few accessories and explained to him where he could get some good perfume.

When I got home I excitedly explained this endearing scenario to my own grumpy boy-person, who was less impressed than I. He thinks that you shouldn’t spend money on whatever the sales people (however helpful) tell you to if you aren’t sure that the person you are buying for will like it. He advised taking the girl in question to the store, observing what she likes, and then returning to buy it. I argued that this was far less romantic. He argued that he did this with me all the time and that I never seem to mind.

Obviously, my life is far less romantic than that of some random classic rock loving girl who is getting a purse for Christmas.


No comments: